In the December episode (links below), Christopher interviews former Grady Paramedic Kevin Hazzard about his magnificent new book American Sirens: The Incredible Story of the Black Men Who Became America’s First Paramedics.
Now available in bookstores and online (links below), American Sirens tells the compelling story of the 24 black men from the projects of Pittsburg who overcame poverty, racism, and politics to make Freedom House Ambulance the first successful model of pre-hospital emergency medicine in America.
The first paramedic class of Freedom House Ambulance was even trained by the “Father of CPR,” Peter Safar.
Check out our interview with Kevin to see why you should get (for yourself, your friends, and family) this moving, fast-paced, and enjoyable work of American history that reads like a gripping novel.
It’s the perfect holiday gift.
Trust me, they won’t want to put the book down!
Podcast link (all platforms):
YouTube video links:
- FULL Interview – Kevin Hazzard – Grady Medics Book On Black Men Who Were First Paramedics (Dec 2022)
- I have a dream, on the importance of character versus race w/ Kevin Hazzard
- Freedom House Ambulance conflicts with police w/ Kevin Hazzard
- On the not so fun side of EMS w/ Kevin Hazzard
- On messing up your first call in EMS w/ Kevin Hazzard
- How EMS affects your personal and family life w/ Kevin Hazzard
- On the difference between EMS and combat medics w/ Kevin Hazzard
- Discovering Freedom House Ambulance w/ Kevin Hazzard
- On getting into EMS w/ Kevin Hazzard
- EMS has three types of Paramedics: True Believers, Killers, and Tourists w/ Kevin Hazzard
- On Peter Safar, the doctor behind CPR and Freedom House Ambulance, w/ Kevin Hazzard
- On the main character (John Moon) from American Sirens being born at Grady w/ Kevin Hazzard
- Why EMS is not a “career” w/ Kevin Hazzard
- On learning humility with EMS patients w/ Kevin Hazzard
- On being a parent in EMS and working pediatric calls w/ Kevin Hazzard
Buy Kevin’s books (and support us):
Legal Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, this site contains “Affiliate Links,” meaning we may make a small commission from Amazon, at no cost to you, on eligible book purchases if you decide to buy them through our links.